Tuesday, May 16, 2017

One of My Dad's Favorite Desserts

Upon going through some of my mom's old recipes  I ran across my dad's favorite desserts. I must say though my dad had a penchant for sweets.  He was a pie man, "Pies of any kind," he'd say, "as long as it's not a shepherd's pie." But fruit pies where his favorite, I must say. And at the holidays he loved his pecan and mincemeat. But when I was little, I thought mincemeat pie was the grossest thing on the face of the Earth. My dad did turn me around as I grew older and I started making them for him when I actually realized what was in the mincemeat pie. 
No pie I was ever complete without that ever-present scoop of ice cream. Be it vanilla or butter pecan my dad preferred either and sometimes got both. My dad was a simple man and was born during the Depression. He didn't expect much and was used to making do with what he had. So a simple dish of ice cream was a treat for him. His favorite all-time dessert was my grandmother's apple dumplings. We made those apple dumplings for him for his birthday and every other occasion that we could think of to celebrate anything for him. They are unlike any apple dumplings ever imagined and no recipe ever is like them anywhere. I have included it here in my blog. Please let me know what you think of it. It is my grandmother Pauline Frances Galley's recipe. And if I'm not mistaken, she got it from her mother, Essa Mae Morris. All I ask if you reprint the recipe, you give credit where credit is due. Thank you. Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment