Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Jack of Many Trades

I have been told that I know how to do a lot of things quite well, not to toot my own horn, but, I went to school a lot, to learn different things. And of course, I had a set of great parents, who taught me well, also. Things you cannot learn by education, like morality, fortitude, respect and independence. My dad was a great artist. I wish I had more than one of his precious paintings. They mean the world to me. He was also a deputy sheriff, and retired as one. He was a police sketch artist and boy, was he ever good! The sketch looked to much liked the criminal it was uncanny! He also was a coach and earned his degree all while working.
My mom taught me many things, too. She sat me up on the counter at a very early age to help her with pie. I remember, because we got to roll the pie dough out into little swirls with cinnamon and sugar when we were done. It was Heaven! That's where I got my love of cooking from. And it just continued to grow.
My mom also taught me how to sew, crochet and knit. "These are things a woman must know in order to keep house," I remember her telling me. "You always have to keep things in good repair," she'd say. I can remember her sitting there darning a bag of my dad's socks one night. How she did it with those long fingernails I'll never know! But she always had nice nails, my mom, never polished, always clear. Except, I remember she had a bottle of real red polish, years back, but I never saw her wear it. This was back in the 60's.
I've come to learn some things on my own. I went to college and to nail tech school, learned massage therapy, culinary school and became a chef. I'm also an editor for Facebook, and that keeps me really busy. You can't imagine the people I run into that give me a hard time. I also teach high school religion classes on Wednesday nights at my church and sing in the choir. All in all, I guess you sure can call me a Jack (or Jill) of many trades.

No comments:

Post a Comment